Social photo sharing and mindfulness

10/17/2016



      



Nothing makes me more aware of how much the influence of the smart phone on our lives than being without it or without internet connection.

I was hiking up the Big Sur area when I finally ended up in front of the most gorgeous view I have witnessed in a long time and my automatic reaction was to take a picture and share it immediately with everyone on social media! Then I realized I did not have cell service and I just took the photo but part of me could not wait until I can get connected again to post this beautiful photo.

I don't judge the behavior necessarily as bad but I am part of that generation that lived without these urges so I know they are new to my generation.

But what is the deal with these urges? Why don't we just enjoy the moment as it is without the feeling that it MUST be shared with everyone to feel complete? is it really just about bragging? I don't feel like I am bragging when I share the Big Sur photo with my friends but am I subconsciously bragging? Why can I wait until later when I meet my friends to share the moment?

We always shared memories of events and places with our friends and family even before the social media era so sharing is not a new idea, it's the speed by which we desire to share that has changed. Thus, we enjoy the special moments and places a lot less than the pre-social media generation.

This behavior is simply justified by one thing: we can! Yes we now can share anytime, any second could be shared if we want to. We are part of this generation that feels that simply because something new is here, we must use it and be part of it or we are missing out! The fact is we are not.

Try practicing mindfulness when you share special moments and travel to special places and see how much you will enjoy the moment.


How can we do this?


  • Start by eliminating the technology itself that creates the urge. Ban phones and use a good old camera instead.

  • Believe that you are enough and the moment is enough. You are awesome without the need to constantly prove it to others. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good to others. As much as some would like to judge it, it's a normal human behavior but knowing that the mere fact of sharing does not make one better is important so we don't attribute value to ourselves based simply on likes.

  • It is Ok to share the memories with others but know the fact that the sharing is urgent or instantaneous does not make the moment any better. So be patient and enjoy the moment and share it later. Your friends will still enjoy just as much and even better, you will enjoy it too 

  • In an anxious culture where were are surrounded by so many stimuli, there seems to be a need to react to every feeling. So when we are excited for the moment, we react by sharing and letting everyone know! Learning to not react on our emotions instantaneously is a way to learn to be mindful and be at peace with our emotions as they come and not feel the urge to react. The practice of not sharing immediately could help our mindfulness and makes us better at dealing with anxiety and stress.






You Might Also Like

0 comments